Friday, December 9, 2011

Olympics

Talking about the Paralympics in class was very interesting to me. It was amazing to hear about stories of people that have overcome so much adversity and still pursued their dream of being an olympic athlete. The one sport that I found most interesting was the women's sitting volleyball team. I had never heard of this before and it really sparked my interest. I didn't know that even if a woman could stand she is still able to play on the team.

Another Paralympics athlete that i found amazing is Scott Hollenbeck. Scott went to the University of Illinois and competed in the wheel chair games. The University of Illinois has a good disabled program and through that, Scott was able to compete for years in wheel chair games.

One thing that I never thought I would hear about is doping in the Paralympic games. In the 2000 Paralympic games, some athletes were charged with using steroids. However, this case is arguable because some of the athletes need the steroids because of their existing medical condition. I think that if an athlete is charged with doping but can prove that they are using the drugs for an existing medical condition, then nothing should come of it. But if the athlete can not prove that they are using the drugs for medical conditions, then they should be disqualified from the games.

No comments:

Post a Comment